Keep your store up-to-date and secure!
Keeping an online store such as Zencart up to date is very important. With each release comes more fixes, better performance and of course, #1 is your store’s SECURITY!! After all, you would hate to find your website online one day and hacked and lost the next!
Zen Cart Release v1.5.5b
What’s New In v1.5.5:
The most notable improvements and bugfixes in v1.5.5 since v1.5.4 include:
- All known v1.5.4 bugfixes and security fixes are included in v1.5.5, including tighter control around XSS as well as clickjacking
- Template: The default out-of-the-box template (called “Responsive Classic”) is now a mobile-friendly responsive-design theme built for flexibility with tablets, mobile devices, and desktops.
- Template: The core template_default files have been reviewed for HTML5 compliance, and a number of classes and IDs have been added to move older styling to CSS instead. Specific input-types like email/telephone for easier use on mobiles
- Admin: Admin menu improvements to help it fit tablet screens better
- Admin: Added customer-password reset via Admin
- Admin: Products Price Manager: Added display of taxes into prices
- Admin: Improvements to developers-toolkit and whos-online
- SEO: Numerous updates to canonical-url handling
- SEO: Added hreflang markup for better indexing of multilingual sites, and other HTML page-header metatag improvements
- Checkout: Order Details added to Checkout-Success page
- Payment: PayPal Express Checkout has numerous updated compatibilities added, including their latest InContext mobile support
- Payment: Added SagePay Form payment module (for hosted offsite PCI compliant credit card processing)
- Payment: Added First Data Hosted Checkout Payment Pages (Global Gateway e4) module (for hosted offsite PCI compliant credit card processing)
- Payment: Retired obsolete Linkpoint_API payment module (replaced by the new Payeezy JS module)
- Payment: Added Payeezy JS (First Data/Global Gateway e4) Payment module (for onsite PCI compliant credit card processing)
- Core: Added PHP 7.0 compatibility
- Core: Added MySQL 5.7 compatibility
- Core: Improved error-logging for troubleshooting (included @lat9’s debug-backtrace mod)
- Core: Improved/simplified code for db query handling, allowing simple foreach() iterations instead of requiring while(!EOF) loops,
- Core: Added hooks to allow for 3rd-party-handling of taxes, for plugin support with orders, attributes, and much more
- Core: Fix some rounding errors
- Core: Added cron code for automated currency-updating, and currency sources can be selected from Admin->Config->My Store menu, and plugins can auto-show in this list
- Core: Fixed bug with a race condition causing database errors related to sessions
- Core: Simplified the configure.php file contents significantly by retaining only the most-often-customized components, and added an automatic-converter as part of zc_install’s initial inspection
- Email: Integrated @lat9’s “common CSS styling” for HTML emails
- Email: Added newer phpMailer integration (better compatibility with more email services), and email-failure errors are logged to /logs/ for easier debugging if problems occur
- Some language-file cleanups
- Improved compatibility for payment/shipping modules and SSL/TLS to work with the 2016 SHA-256 Secure Server initiatives being embraced by modern hosting companies and PCI Compliance
- Rewrote zc_install – fresh new look, will make future internal maintenance easier
- Replaced phpBB integration with generic hooks to allow for various external forums
- Security patches for alerts provided from various security watchdog sites
- … and numerous other small improvements to make things work faster, sleeker, smarter and be easier to use
How do JSWeb perform Zen Cart upgrades?
When JSWeb upgrades a Zen Cart store, we do it in as safe a way as possible, and that means we make a complete clone of both store and database and carry out the upgrade on that, allowing the live store to continue to trade whilst the work is carried out.
The files need to be compared against the originals of your current version to establish what changes were made (this has to happen regardless of who built the site) and then merge any of those changes into the new files. Quite often, 3rd party modules/add-ons will need to be re-installed with their current versions.
The amount of time taken depends on how much customisation has been done to the site.
Upgrade your Zen Cart today!
Please contact us for a Free quote (please tell us what version of ZenCart you currently have and list any modules/customisations that you know you have had done).